Doomni was originally a sugar plantation, and several old sugar machinery were at that time found on this estate. The estate also, under the Brooke Bond management experimented with chicory manufacture; which unfortunately proved to be a failure due to the distance that the chicory had to go to South India.
In those days, transportation of teas was done by bullock carts to the river, and then by steamship. It wasn’t uncommon to spot a tiger, and vast areas of the jungle were cleared by the use of elephants.
The first Superintendent of Doomni Tea Estate was one Mr. Chaston, who was reputed to be a famous shikari. Doomni also maintained the largest elephant in Assam, as well as a small airplane in the old days.
The estate was completely cut-off from other plantations, and the roads used to be non-existent. One of the former Superintendents by name B W Bidwell used a heavy American car to wade through mud to reach the estate.
The beautiful old world bungalow on stilts still stands, and this would be now near a 100 years old since the first plantations had begun sometime in 1928. At that time, most of the workers were Kachari coolies, or from Bihar immigrants who settled down to seek out work.
Since 1945, Doomni has enriched many blends, and reached great heights – it is prized for its long leaf manufacture, and sought after by many blenders, as well as retailers for its excellent leaf appearance, tip content, and flavour liquor. In the last few years, Doomni CTC teas have also made rapid gains, and the inherent brightness of the teas are also now carrying much of Assam goodness – a beautiful orangish colour, fullness and strength in cup.